- Why Writing Science Fiction Is Impossible (a Science Fiction Writer’s Confession)
- History of Ideas: Background to Puritan and Pilgrim Protestantism in North America
- Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: Notes Introducing a Debate Unit on Transformative Technologies
- How Do I Loathe Thee?
- Essential Reading | Book Review
Bob Shepherd on History of Ideas: Background t… Bob Shepherd on History of Ideas: Background t… Duane E Swacker on History of Ideas: Background t… Duane E Swacker on History of Ideas: Background t… Bob Shepherd on How Do I Loathe Thee?
- Follow Bob Shepherd | Praxis on WordPress.com
Monthly Archives: September 2017
Wrote this piece some time ago. Just getting around to posting it. I once read, in “The American Scholar,” I think, or perhaps it was in “Verbatim,” a tragic report on the paucity of dedicated swear words in classical Latin. … Continue reading
Our Boadicea, Our Jeanne d’Arc, Is a 79-year-old Grandmother, an Existence Proof of the Stupidity of Ageism
On this Labor Day, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the Herculean labors of Diane Ravitch. Dr. Ravitch has for many years now been the most significant force for sanity in all of U.S. K-12 education. Day in … Continue reading
On the Pseudoscience of Strategies-Based Reading Comprehension Instruction, or What Some Current Comprehension Instruction Has in Common with Astrology
An Essay Touching upon a Few of the Many Reasons Why the Current Standards-and-Testing Approach Doesn’t Work in ELA NB: If a child is going to learn to read with comprehension, he or she must ready to do so, physically, … Continue reading